21.7.14

First Garden Salad of the Season

This is why I love having a garden – I can simply head outside and pick whatever is ripe and create a lovely salad.  Such a great accompaniment to meals in the summer. 




I happened to be heading for a family dinner, so I quickly sent my dad a text informing them I would bring a salad as I was experiencing an explosion of tomatoes.  He thanked me for the salad, but then cursed me and my bountiful tomato plants (his aren't doing nearly as well!). 



Today’s mix from my garden was cherry punch tomatoes, yellow pear tomatoes, English cucumber, chives and basil (which I grew from seedlings!).  When making my garden salads, I really don’t measure anything – I go based on sight and taste.  To give a refreshing kick, I used rice wine vinegar, accompanied by a very fruity extra virgin olive oil.  I've been quite partial to A l’OlivierHuile d’OliveVierge Extra for some time.  Not cheap, but I reserve it precisely for these types of fresh meals.


Nothing really beats a refreshing salad when the heat strikes.  And what better than tomatoes and cucumbers that are warm from the sun.  So delish.

Enjoy!

Garden Salad

Serves 4 to 6

Preparation Time – 10 Minutes
Cooking Time – None

Ingredients

  • Cherry punch tomatoes – halved
  • Yellow pear tomatoes – halved
  • English cucumber – peeled & sliced on a diagonal
  • 4 Chives - snipped
  • Large handful fresh basil - julienned
  • ½ tsp. sugar
  • Salt & pepper

Preparation

  1. In a medium bowl, toss all of the ingredients until well combined.
  2. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment