25.7.14

Floral Friday – July Birth Flower – Larkspur & Delphinium


I knew there was a birthstone for every month, but I only recently discovered there is also a birth flower.  Who knew?! 

For those born in the month of July your birth flower is the larkspur or delphinium.  In preparing for this post, I learned that larkspurs are essentially an annual version of the delphinium.  It seems they are best planted from seed directly in the garden, as they don’t like being transplanted.  If you leave some to turn brown and dry up, they will drop their seeds for the following year. 

The lovely picture of purple delphiniums is courtesy of my mum’s garden.  As far back as I can remember, my mum has always been a gardener and I have fond memories as a kid of smelling and looking at flowers and tasting vegetables growing any given summer.  It’s essentially my mum and the exposure she gave me where I’ve largely gleaned most of my botanical knowledge. 

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment