18.7.14

Floral Friday – Schiphol Airport Flower Bowls

I love to explore different cities and cultures, and particularly enjoy sampling the local delicacies.  But I’m not a huge lover of flying.  In fact, I only fly because it is a necessary evil of travelling. 

One airport that actually lifts my spirits is Schiphol airport in Amsterdam.  Here’s a shot from a few years ago on one of the many trips to, what I consider to be, my home away from home!


I've been searching high and low to figure out what kind of flowers were planted in the flower bowls at Schiphol airport.  I believe they are a type of chrysanthemums, but I'm not entirely sure.  What I did discover is that during the expansion of Schiphol’s airport back in the 80’s and 90’s, there was a focus on airport landscape.  Part of that design objective was to highlight Holland’s claim to fame – flowers. 

Upon arrival, you are greeted with amazing flower bowls that are updated with the flowers of the season.  Whether arriving or departing, it is refreshing to have something beautiful to look at.

Happy weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment