26.8.14

Italian Walnut-Raisin Whole-Wheat Bread


I'm a toast eater.  Raisin toast with peanut butter eater to be precise.  The bread itself has changed throughout the years, but it has been my go to breakfast for 15+ years.  I literally look forward to it every morning.  How crazy is that?!


I found THE best raisin walnut bread at a small bakery while living in Japan.  I used to toast it up in my toaster oven and either eat it with butter or peanut butter if I was lucky (meaning I had some left over from one of the batches my mum shipped out to me!).  I've been searching for something that comes somewhat close, without any lucky.  Until possibly now.


This Italian Raisin-Walnut Whole Wheat Bread recipe is by Beth Hensperger and is one of the many recipes I've tried from The Bread Bible.  Worth checking out if you haven’t already.


I halved the recipe as I'm the only one who eats raisins in this household.  The process is pretty straightforward.  Combine ¼ cup warm water with 1 tablespoon active dry yeast and a pinch of brown sugar.  Stir to combine and set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.  

Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 1 cup warm water, ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, 1/8 cup of honey, ½ tablespoon kosher salt, 1 cup whole wheat flour and the yeast mixture.  Beat with a paddle attachment until well combined and smooth, about 1 minute.  Add another cup of whole wheat flour a ½ cup at a time.  Then add ¾ cups of all-purpose flour ¼ cup at a time.  Mix until a soft dough forms.  Switch to a dough hook and knead for 6 minutes.  Remove to a lightly floured surface and knead again a few times.  Drizzle the bottom of a large bowl with oil and place the dough top side down to coat with oil before turning right side up.  Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until doubled in volume – 2 to 2 ½ hours.


Meanwhile, toss 1 cup raisins in the small bowl and cover with hot water.  Set aside for 1 hour before draining and drying completely on paper towel.  Roughly chop 1 ½ cups walnuts - set aside. 
Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchmint paper and sprinkle a combination of ½ teaspoon each of whole wheat flour and bran.  Set aside.



Remove dough from bowl without punching down and transfer to a lightly floured surface.    Pat the dough into a large oval or rectangle and sprinkle half the raisins and walnuts over the top.  Press down.  Roll the dough up and repeat process with remaining raisins and walnuts.  Roll the dough up again and either shape into a round loaf or baguette and placing it in the center of the prepared baking sheet.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap and set aside to rise again for another hour.





20 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 400˚.  Bake for 25 (baguette) to 35 (round loaf) minutes until nicely browned and sounds hollow when tapped underneath.


It’s not exactly the same as what I had in Japan.  I was disappointed, but it has some really redeeming qualities that I couldn't just ignore.  While still warm from the oven, this bread has a fruity flavour from the really good extra virgin olive oil I used and sweetness from the raisins.  The walnuts add a rich crunchiness to the tender interior and lightly crisp exterior.  I will definitely be making this again!

Am I the only one who has a bread they can’t live without?!

Enjoy!

2:17 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment