18.11.14

Broccoli & Pine Nut Soup


I had some broccoli left in the fridge that was on its last legs and it was lunch time.  I was hungry and I was craving something healthy and delish, but not a salad – for once.  

So I decided on a broccoli soup, figuring it would be quick enough and tasty enough to satisfy this craving.  


While I was sautéing the onions, I recalled the seriously delicious Carrot Ginger Soup I made, and got to thinking about what type of nut I could add to my broccoli soup.  After scouring my nut stock pile, I settled on pine nuts, thinking their creamy texture would pair nicely with the broccoli.  Boy was I right!



Super simple.  Super quick.  And best of all, super oishii!

Enjoy!


Broccoli & Pine Nut Soup

Serves 6

Preparation Time – 10 Minutes
Cooking Time – 20 Minutes

Ingredients

  • 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 Spanish onion – thinly sliced
  • 1 Medium head of broccoli or 1 bag frozen broccoli
  • 2 Garlic cloves – smashed and roughly chopped
  • ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 2 tbsp. pine nuts
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • Salt & Pepper

Preparation

  1. Add oil and butter to a Dutch oven set on medium-high heat.  Once the butter is melted, add the onions and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, and seasoning with a little kosher salt.  Add the pine nuts, garlic and red pepper flakes and continue cooking another 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and the pine nuts have a little color. 
  2. Add the chicken stock, broccoli and season with salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes. 
  3. Puree soup with a hand held blender until smooth.  Check the seasonings.
  4. Served with grated Wijngaard Chèvre Affiné and a warm buttermilk biscuit.

* Notes

  • Parmesan would do just fine instead of the goat cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment